How to use MOBAC with Track@way - I Basic

Check here for some tutorials and guides on how to use Track@Way and get the most from this great software!
marcv

How to use MOBAC with Track@way - I Basic

Postby marcv » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:17 pm

With the free program MOBAC (Mobile Atlas Creator) you can download maps to use with Track@way.

MOBAC is a Java-application, and runs on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Download: http://mobac.sourceforge.net/
Unzip it and place it in the folder were you want your applications.

Steps are the following:
1) download an area with MOBAC
2) do a little preparation on the downloaded map
3) place this on phone.
4) tell Track@way how to find it.

Startup Mobac. It asks about Atlas name and format.
Name can be anything you want it to be, for this tutorial I used a part of the Harz, Germany. This is a forest area, located roughly between Göttingen and Magdeburg; but you can pick something else, doesn’t matter. Anyway, I name it DE_Harz_4umaps.
As the format: choose OSMTracker tile storage.
The programs completes its startup, and displays a map.

On the left there’s a panel, the 2nd item from above is called Map Source, make sure the blue arrow next to it is pointing to the right.
Choose: OpenStreetmap 4umaps.eu
The map display changes.
Navigating the map: use right click and hold to move the map; and the zoom slider to zoom. For zooming you can also use the mouse wheel.
Now: make the area you want visible in the map display doesn't need to be the Harz, can be anything within the supported area. 4umaps supports mapping of Northern-America and Europe currently, at zoom levels 2-15 (check at 4umaps.eu)
Make sure you can see the complete are comfortably. I used for the complete Harz zoom level 8.
With the left mouse-button you can draw a red rectangle over the map. This is your selection.

Next: decide about needed zoom levels. Step through them with the zoom slider to have a look at the different zooms. Higher zoom levels have more information, but will also occupy more space on your phone. Level 15 has clearly more information, especially in villages, so I would just do level 8-15.
Go to in the left-panel to “Zoom Levels” (just below Map Source) and check 8-15.
While doing so you can see the number of tiles that have to be downloaded; for level 8 it’s only 4 tiles, for level 15 it’s around 9000. (This will occupy around 500Mb, first on your computer, then or you phone, so if you think this is too much use a smaller area, or deselect Zoom level 15. (will be down to around 100Mb), or disable both 15 and 14, then it will be down to around 50Mb)
Now go to Atlas Content in the left-panel and click on Add selection.
Then, click on Create Atlas in the panel, and the download starts. On my system this will take a little over 30 minutes. ( dependent on internet speed and on MOBAC settings, comes in another tutorial.) You might want to check “ignore download errors” but with this mapsource it shouldn’t be necessary.

After a while the Status changes to Finished.
Click Open Atlas Folder, you’ll see the contents of the MOBAC’s atlases folder. In there is the DE_Harz_4umaps_(date/time) folder.
Open that folder. Inside is a folder called 4umaps. Rename that folder to: DE_Harz_4umaps_cache
Look what’s inside the folder: there are folders 8-15; one for each zoomlevel. Open one of these folder; you’ll several higher numbered folders. Look inside one of these; you’ll see a lot of .png files; (it’s important to notice if you see png’s or jpg’s, you’ll need this information later)
The folder can now be copied to you phone or tablet. (But read the note about this below before you do this!!!)
Copy it to the maps_cache folder. This folder lives within the TrackAWay folder on you phone/tablet.

Now there’s one final step: we have tell Track@way about the new map.
Fire up a texteditor. (Notepad, TextEditor, Leafpad, etc.)
Make a textfile that looks like:

Code: Select all

extension = png
name = DE_Harz_4umaps
legal = http://4umaps.eu
title = DE_Harz_4umaps

(if you saw beforehand that there were jpg’s inside the folders instead of png’s the first line should have been “extension = jpg”)

Save this file as DE_Harz_4umaps.txt, and copy it to you phone/tablet to the map_sources folder inside your TrackAWay folder.

Done! Your online map is ready for use offline. Startup Track@way, navigate to the Harz using e.g. Cloudmade, and switch to the internet mapsource DE_Harz_4umaps to use it.

NOTE1: depending on phone-operating system the 9000+ png files might give problems, they might show up in the gallery, or be uploaded to Skydrive or another cloud. To avoid this it’s better to rename the files to hide them from the Gallery. In Track@way you can do this by changing the extension of the .png’s or .jpg’s to .rmc. Of course you do this with a renaming utility, I used A Better Finder Rename on Mac OS X; but there are many to find, many free, and it’s a pretty simple rename operation.
So, better do this before you copy the DE_Harz_4umaps_cache folder to your phone or tablet, especially when your are on stock Symbian.

NOTE2:
I used 4umaps.eu as an example because 4umaps.eu is not working on Track@way, because of some issue outside the reach of the programmer; it’s a great map, and can be used in this way.

Return to “Track@Way TUTORIALS”